Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Riverdance - Irish At Its Best

Salam..

As promised, I will share my experience having witnessed the great Irish Riverdance in Gaiety Theatre in Dublin last night.. As far as honest is concerned, I had wished to see the show since I first saw and heard of them, and that was quite a few years ago.. In fact, I realised that I like different culture that I would take every opportunity to experience and watch them.. I suppose that statement would now be apparent and evident throughout our travelogues.. Well, here is for sharing..

Riverdance

Where the river foams and surges to the sea
Silver figures rise to find me

Wise and as daring

Following the heart's cry


Feel the magic and power of surrender to life

Uisce beatha
I am living to nourish you, cherish you

I am pulsing the blood in your veins



The show started at 8 o'clock but we were already in there by 7.30pm.. The fact that the hotel we were staying in was so close to the Gaiety Theatre, it was no rush to get to the venue..

The show consisted of two parts, with a fifteen-minute interval in between.. It started off with a very gentle instrumental music and then with a more upbeat dance.. Throughout the show, a mixture of great dances of soft and hard shoes, awesome instrument displays and even magnificent vocals.. I have to say, I enjoyed the hard-shoe dance better than the soft ones.. Maybe because the echo of the strum of steps made by the dancers excites me more - such precision and punctuality..

In between the shows, we refreshed ourselves with some cold drinks and ice-cream, a little bit sugar for the next half..

At the end of the show, the crowd stood up for a standing ovation and, in all fairness, had hoped that it was not the end of the performance.. Overall, I thought it was a magnificent show.. However, I was a bit 'disappointed' by the length of the show (hoping for more, obviously) and quite a small theatre.. Maybe because I had watched Michael Flatley performing in larger centres and had hoped that the Gaiety Theatre would equal them.. But, other than that, it was worth every penny!

Maybe someday I will invest more and watch the troupe perform somewhere else.. Maybe even see Mr Flatley in action..

I loved it!

Salam..

No comments: