Thursday, August 5, 2010

No-Pilot Mode

Salam..

Alhamdulillah, I managed to squeeze some time to jot a word or two in this page.. To be honest, much has happened in the last few months that blogging was way down on priority list.. As a matter of fact, despite many of you had thought Ina was at home all along, it is not solely true.. She is back to work! So, you can only imagine what our schedule is like.. And what our house looks like!

June
June was quite a busy time for me.. I had loads of academic stuff going on and it took a lot of my time.. So, I will not bother you readers with my so-called educational strive..

One good thing that happened was my mom's birthday.. In all fairness, it was all Ina's brilliant idea.. We (and by 'we' I mean Ina) actually booked a surprise birthday present for mom.. It was a home delivery of a bouquet if flowers and a mocha cake.. But, I think Ina will disagree, and probably a bit disappointed, that they delivered the wrong flower and the wrong cake..

Mom with her birthday present - sent with love from Ireland

Believe me, the hard part was to make certain mom was at home at the time of delivery, without making her suspicious of the surprise plan..

June was also the month I bid farewell to Milford Care Centre.. Having worked there for a total of nine months, I suppose I will miss that place.. Despite not all people like to be working there, I enjoyed every bit of my time there.. I was sad to leave the service and move on to something almost totally opposite.. It felt like a farewell that I might not return to the place.. The first six months I was there, I knew I would be coming back later in 2010, bot not this time.. I got a cap from Dr Conroy and a book voucher from Dr Stodart as gifts.. I thank both of them whole-heartedly..

July
It was a new beginning for me.. I had decided that I want to do Emergency Medicine as a career pathway.. And so I did, having secured the job in Limerick before July came.. Unfortunately, instead of 8 SHOs, there are only six of us.. And we are short by one Registrar.. It only meant that the workload is greater and it will only get worse.. Nationally, there are 270 NCHD posts not filled on 1st of July, and the number is still increasing with people who have a job now opting to resign and flee the country.. It also means that training is getting more scarce as we speak..

Ina was also called to do a locum job given one Geriatric SHO had resigned and did not arrive on scene in Limerick on 1st of July.. Ina is doing a 3-month post as of now.. She will be back at home in October, insya-Allah..

August
It is only a few days in August and it feels like it is flying too quickly for my liking..

Erin celebrated her birthday back in Malaysia - unfortunately, being on-call on the day itself.. Zuhaili has now settled in UiTM in Medical Imaging, which is technically Radiography.. I haven't spoken with Intan for a while but last I checked she was managing okay.. Zaqwan is still in school at seems to do well..

As for me, life goes on with Ina here.. Where to next? I don't know yet.. Hoping to get an Anaesthetic SHO job in January as part of my own EM scheme.. Maybe look and assess my chances getting on to the Registrar Training Scheme for EM (SpR).. Otherwise, hmm.. Australia, maybe? I don't know.. I'm keeping my options open for now..

Well, Ramadhan is coming and before we know it, it will be Eid.. Alhamdulillah, I will be on leave on the week of Eid and the week after.. Unfortunately, because of shortage of SHOs, I am only now allowed to take one week off as annual leave after the night's week off.. It also means that traveling home to Malaysia will be difficult.. *Sigh*

Salam..

No comments: