Monday, July 21, 2008

Flooded Cake and Baby Sister..

Salam..

And I'm back again..

It seemed that I managed to reduce the interval of two-week silent period to just about one week.. Maybe that's because there are some stories to share.. Or maybe just simply I'm trying to make the most out of this 'blogger' identity..

Anyway, let's get started.. Nothing much have happened since the last entry, but still something to share.. Of course, I won't be writing anything about the shocking news we had received earlier during the week.. I think my dear wife did that bit already..

Flooded Cake

Saturday.. We didn't do anything much.. Just relaxing after a week's work.. And then my wife decided that she wanted to bake a cake.. Not just any cake, a carrot cake.. So, off we went to the Crescent Shopping Centre to buy the ingredients.. Eggs, carrots, butter, cheese, baking pan, etc etc etc.. Unfortunately, the pan was not exactly suitable for bain marie-style of baking.. So we had a little 'McGuyver' moment and wrapped the whole pan with some tin foil to make an 'anti-flood' pan.. Of course, I was never a good baker, so I wasn't to keen to be much involved.. But I had to grate the carrot.. So after all the ingredients were ready, in they went into the pan.. And then into the oven..

After the designated 60 minutes, the cake came out FLOODED! Our anti-flood mechanism failed miserably! So the bake was a total disaster and waste.. Indeed, my wife was not a happy camper..

But, determination and persistence prevailed.. Bought more ingredients, bought a new baking pan! And I bought another one today.. The one I bought was a 23cm super-durable silicon baking pan.. And off she went with the ingredients again.. Again into the oven at 160 degrees Celcius.. Another 60 minutes with the timer set..

And, the result was this!

This looks simple, but believe me, this is much harder to bake that it seems at the end.. I wouldn't even compare it to the flooded one!
(I was not allowed to take the picture of the flooded cake)

I congratulate my wife for the success! I also had a biro-written poster with 'Sayang No 1' as a moral support! And it paid off handsomely..

Baby Sister
Sunday, we went to Tralee.. Our friend Hilma gave birth to a beautiful baby girl last week.. And now Hadif has a sister.. Many of our friends have babies, but maybe this family is a bit special to us..

When I started work in Limerick, my wife hadn't a job as a surgical intern.. So she was staying at home.. And Hilma and Hanif were both working, so they needed someone to look after the then nine-month-old Hadif.. So we agreed that my wife would look after Hadif before Hilma's mother would arrive from Malaysia.. The chubby boy wasn't even crawling at that stage.. And my wife looked after him for about 2 weeks.. There could be a small chance that Hadif started crawling while under my wife's care..

Now, Hadif is a year old and has a cute little baby sister, Hadia.. It's so adorable that Hadif likes to hold his sister.. Of course, Hilma and Hanif both has to keep a close eye on the boy as he could easily be a little bit too caring for the sister..

Hadif holding Hadia..


Well, those were the two stories I wanted to share.. A weekend filled with an extraordinary experience of flooded cake and a soothing sight of a newborn..

To my dear wife, I hope more cakes are to come.. A flooded cake or charcoal crust are no measure of how determined you were to get it right the next time.. It all comes in a package called 'experience'.. The more you bake, the more you learn, whether it's a perfect cake or not.. I eat them anyway..

To Hilma and Hanif, I'm happy for you guys.. And to Hadif, I'm sure you'll be a good big brother for Hadia.. I know she will be loved by you..



No comments: