Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Eid 2009

Salam..

As you may all aware at this stage, I have not blogged a word for quite some time.. Nevertheless, my lovely wife has been keeping this page rather active and alive over the course of my silence.. Enough said on our first ever open house, it was a memorable moment.. To my wife, Ina, I am really sorry I was no more of a help.. The only think I did was literally cleaned up the front (including vacuuming and mopping the floor) and did the trash.. I'll try to do better next time, when we plan another open house or similar gathering at our place..

Eid 2009 - What's Different

To be perfectly honest, I enjoyed so much of this Eid.. The reason was as simple as I had missed THREE Eids prior to this one.. In fact, I actually thought that I missed only two.. Not that one was not significant to remember, but all three were missed because I was working..

Eid Al-Adha 1429 - I woke up that morning in the smelly and stenchy hard bed of the Res.. Washed myself and bought a cup of coffee to-go and on with the post-call ward round.. When every Malaysian women in the hospital wore bright-coloured baju kurung and the men had looked fresh and smiley, I had to spend the day in my, possibly, MRSA-stained scrubs, until I got home that evening.. Of course, I missed the Eid prayer that morning..

Eid Al-Fitr 1429 - Waking up that morning was definitely different.. It was the the first day of October.. I had just finished my rotation in Palliative Care and was then back based in the Regional.. HR had called me and asked me to be on-call on that day.. Despite strongly declining and refusing, their argument was that I would be the only one in the rota for that consultant on-call to know the run of the hospital.. Two new colleagues came from Cork and had never worked here.. So, the best option was to have one 'oldie' to show the ropes to the 'newbie'.. It also meant that my own new team was expecting me to turn up at 9 o'clock that morning..

Eid Al-Adha 1428 - Honestly, I could not remember anything from this day.. Was I to preoccupied with work that I missed this one too?

This Eid

I had calculated the days and found out that I would be working that weekend of Eid.. And it was not as if I could turn up late for work as I had to relief the guy who worked the long-hour night shift.. It would not have been fair for him for me to ask him to stay for another couple of hours just so I could go for the prayers..

Alhamdulillah, Allah blessed me with an opportunity and I managed to break a deal with a colleague - I would do his 8-hour shift on Friday (when I was supposed to be off) and he would cover me on that Sunday for eight hours and I would come in to finish the last four hours of my original shift.. That turned out very well, despite me oversleeping and only left home for work just after 4 o'clock!

* * * * *

The morning breeze was cool enough to chill the so-thought semi-brittle bones of mine.. But the warmth from the bright ray, just peeking from behind the cotton-thin cloud was just about sufficient to counteract the coolness felt on skin.. The day was bright, the weather was perfect, the day was Eid again.. A small drop of tear pooled at the corner of my eye on the very morning takbir was humming inside of me, praising Allah for the opportunity to meet Ramadhan again, and meet Syawal again..

It was a perfect morning..

Though.. Deep inside of me, maybe I had dreamed of something better.. What could be better? Allah only provides the best for His servants, and what we deem better for us may not what He deem best for us.. And He is the All-Knowing..

I had hoped to celebrate and welcome Eid with my children with me.. But they are not with me today.. They are in Jannah, celebrating Eid.. I was here with my forever beloved wife, my soul companion, making the most of Eid here on earth.. Her love for me is undoubtedly the fulfillment and definition of love itself..

Maybe next year, maybe next time, insya-Allah..

O Allah, give us the strength to face the coming days together.. And maybe one day I will have my family with me on the morning when we would all gather and welcome Syawal.. As for now, this is the best for me and for us as seen by Allah, not as seen by me.. Ameen..

Salam..

2 comments:

sepose said...

bestnyer tgk lauk pauk kak ina masak!tah bila lak kami leh lepak umah kak ina makan2 cam dulu hu3

Shaz-ina said...

rindu kat korg dtg melepak2 di rmh akak.. tgk balik gambar dulu2, teringat kat korg.. insyaAllah satu hari nanti bila kitorg dah settle down kat msia, blhla lepak2 ngan korg lg:)