Sunday, February 8, 2009

Losing Either Way

Salam..

I am back again in less than a day, blogging my way in this page.. In case you did not notice, if you look closely, this entry has the same date as the one before.. Does it mean my ranting are getting out of control? Not at all.. The matter of the fact, I thought the last entry was a little to statistic and factual, whereas this one would be a rather deliberate and spontaneous, despite the previous entry title included the word 'FIRED?!'.. I will tell you why..

New Teammate

Behind the turmoil of cutbacks and economic uncertainty, my boss was in the process of hiring another SHO for the team.. It is in fact what he mentioned to me and the other team members earlier on in January.. Of course, after the HSE economic debacle story, even I did not think that the plan to have another SHO would go through.. Hence, it was never even followed up by me, anyway..

In fact, I didn't even realise the post was advertised..

To my surprise, some friends and colleagues had come to talk to me about what was the story.. Because nobody knew what was the deal, it is not surprising that people would think of the worst or negatives..

"Shaz, are you fired?"
"What's happening? Why is there an ad for your job?"
"Dude, are you ok? Your job was advertised as IMMEDIATE.. Are you sick?"

Only then it clicked.. Ahh, the job..

Thank you for your concern.. Luckily, I was not fired.. In fact, it was the new post advertised.. The Renal service will be opening a new Dialysis Unit off-site the hospital.. Hence, the registrar covering Dialysis Unit will have to commute on daily basis between the hospital and the new unit.. The extra SHO will be a helping hand for the registrar in the Dialysis Unit in the hospital when the registrar is at the Dock Road Unit.. That is the purpose..

Despite the certainty, not that I doubted myself, but I went to seek for clarity.. I composed myself and asked my boss whether I was fired.. He laughed and asked "What do you think?".. So I said (with some confidence that I still have my job) I think I have been doing a fair job and I was almost certain that the post advertised was for the extra hand, not that I was fired.. He laughed again but it was clear that that was the reason..

Phewww..
For a second I thought I had lost my job..

Salam..

No comments: