Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My Study Leave So Far..

Salam..

As promised, despite my time should be spent on books and studies, I am back facing this blogspot site and updating you with my stories.. I am convincing myself, though with not very much success, that my week is being spent ever so nicely with studying for my upcoming exams.. Nevertheless, I am here to share my experience in an air ambulance..

Shannon To Northolt

I arrived at the ward yesterday morning early, quickly grabbed Mrs B's notes and registered the events of the weekend in my brain.. It was only at that moment that Sinead (one of the staff nurses) asked if I had had my breakfast.. For obvious reasons, one being I am not usually a breakfast person, I had not.. So, the nurses being very caring as always had me rushed for coffee before leaving the hospital for the journey.. I got myself a muffin and a cup of tea after stopping by at my boss's office, in view that I wanted to discuss few things prior to the transfer.. I was leisurely having my light breakfast when I was called up and told the ambulance was about to leave..

Myself, Mrs B and two family members of hers got on to the hospital ambulance around 9am and we headed towards Shannon Airport, about 30km from the hospital.. The drive was fine but the morning traffic did not help.. Fortunately, we did not have to rush for the flight as Mrs B had an uneventful weekend and was very much stable..

At around 9.45am, we were ready to take off.. The dark green Air Corp plane was ready to roll.. Paul, Ronan and Steven introduced themselves as the officers in charge and helped us on to the flight.. The inside of the 1994 plane was awesome, in the sense that it was like taking a military plane.. There were monitors and radios and radars and infra-red sensors! Not that we were hoping a more extravagant plane, but Mr B did joke that we were taking the "World War II" plane.. Indeed, the propellers on both wings gave it away.. Obviously, there was no in-flight entertainment, no catering service.. But the life jackets were all equipped with radios and flares, on top of the usual whistle and light.. We got the top-end life jackets!


The flight was a little bit rough.. Certainly we were flying a bit lower than the usual commercial flights.. In fact, we were told that the plane is used as marine patrol usually.. Odd times as a free-service air ambulance.. The air-conditioning was loud and the propellers were noisy too.. Other than that, the flight was good.. Also, as I was the medical officer on duty, my priority was to make sure Mrs B was fine throughout the transfer.. I also brought 2units of red cell concentrate in case Mrs B bled.. I did not go for fun - I was working!

We arrived at Northolt Royal Air Force base around 12noon, somewhat 10miles outside Central London.. An ambulance was already waiting for us to bring us to the final destination - Charing Cross Hospital..

At the destination, we brought Mrs B up to Level 6 and steered around until we found that she had a bed ready in Ward 6 South.. The nurses tucked her in and I had to do two things before leaving; 1) to hand over to Prof Seckl's team, and 2) to dispose the blood I brought there in London.. Obviously, there was no reason to bring the blood back as the patient was there in London! I spoke to Dr Jules (Prof Seckl's SHO) and handed over the letters, briefed her the history and handed her the CD containing all of Mrs B's scans.. In the meantime, I managed to dispose the blood to the Blood Bank in Charing Cross Hospital.. I only had the igloo with me going back..

Long Journey Home

I bid farewell to the B's and headed back downstairs where the ambulance crew was waiting for me to bring me back to Northolt RAF Base.. It was a relief that everything went well during the transfer.. I rang my boss's secretary but Prof was not in, so I left a message saying everything went well and I was heading home..

The three guys were out having their curry while I was in the hospital.. We had predicted the transfer would bring me back to the RAF base around 3pm, but we managed to settle early and I was back at the base just after 2pm.. A little paperwork by the boys and we were set to take off again.. We left around 3pm and I arrived at Baldonnell airstrip, somewhat 15km outside Dublin, around 4.30pm.. The trip was fine except for the last 30mins or so.. We flew closer to the mountains and lower too.. So the air turbulent from the nearby mountains was rocking the plane hard! But I managed okay.. I spent the whole journey back sharing stories with Paul.. I thanked the guys and I was off to Heuston Train Station.. It was a bit of a mess as I had to land in Baldonnell, get a taxi (which was waiting for me) from the Co. Kildare base and take a train back to Limerick on the same day.. That was why I had to dispose the blood products in London, because there would have been drama if I was to bring a 'biohazard' on a public transport!

I arrived in Heuston, tried to catch the 5.05pm train but missed by approximately 30 seconds! So I grabbed a sandwich (which was awful!) and took the next train at 5.25pm.. The journey was okay, no problems.. I arrived in Limerick around 8.15pm and took a taxi back to the hospital.. Up back to the wards, returned the igloo in which I brought the bloods and headed home, having in mind Manchester Utd was playing Arsenal in the Emirates!

I got home and Man Utd was already leading 2-0, with a 3-0 aggregate..

Tired

Watched the game and had dinner at the same time.. Of course, the Devils cruise to the finals with a 4-1 aggregate, but stained by bad refereeing when Fletcher got the red card.. He will miss the finals..

Tadgh Lyons from Patient Services rang me later on and made sure I was fine.. I told her I was and she thanked me for doing the job.. I only had the patient's best interest in mind.. When they started to say that they needed clearance from the hospital's Business Manager to get the green light for a locum at 3.45pm on a Friday, I knew it will never get pass bureaucracy and the compromise was on Mrs B, so I took the job..

Overall, it was an experience flying in an air ambulance and I was actually on-duty for once in a flight, not going for vacation! These opportunities don't come everyday - stand up, stick your hand up and take the challenge! Even if it meant sacrificing one day of my study leave..

Well, get well soon, Mrs B..

Salam..

No comments: