Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My Tuesday..

Salam..

Oh it's Wednesday today.. time really flies.. nearly half way through my annual leave.. huhu.. I just stayed at home as my dear hubby is working this week.. I went out yesterday to settle a few things including paying the speeding ticket! hehe.. I still can't believe we got a speeding ticket.. In all fairness, my dear hubby was driving alone (me, as usual, was sleeping;p), we just finished the 3 hours exam, it was raining & we were rushing home as we were working as usual the next day.. the limit was 50mph & he drove 72mph.. for that, he was 'rewarded' a speeding ticket & 2 points.. hopefully that would be the first and the last one!

Back to my story, after settling a few things in the bank and in the post office, I went to find the tart mould.. went into a few shops but couldn't find even one.. at last, I just went to buy groceries.. I kept thinking what should I cook for dinner.. was hoping to cook something different, at least not chicken! I kept looking around until I reached the fish section.. I was trying to figure out which one to buy when the saleperson/fishmonger said "Off today,are ya?" I just smiled and nodded.. "you're working in the Regional aren't you?".. Oh my God, I was hoping that he was not one of my patients coz I really couldn't recognise his face.. "my father was in the hospital under Mr Kavanagh.. I think I did see you around in the hospital.." pheww.. I wasn't working with Mr Kavanagh but I can understand if he was mistaken because there were 6 Malay girls working as surgical interns at that time! probably he did see me at some stage.. I smiled back to him, "I'm working in the Regional, I was working with Mr Waldron and now with Dr Clich..", I explained to him.. "Oh I know Dr Clinch.. Lovely man.. He is my neighbour.. We live in Adare.."..(oh yeah,that is the same man..) "It was a first class treatment in that hospital.. my father had an operation under Mr Kavanagh & then he was in St Ita's..",he said."so he must have known Dr Clinch then.."."oh,he knew him all his life.. they were good friends", he replied to me with a smile.. I did ask how is his father doing now, sadly his father had passed away.. I apologised for asking.. he smiled and said not to worry about it.. and I walked away with trout & seabass in my hand..

In a way, I'm proud to be part of his good memory of the hospital.. and it reminds me of how my job affects peoples' lives.. that it is important not only to treat the patients well but also their family members.. coz they'll remember you well.. you would have hundreds of patients but they have only a few doctors.. of course they will remember you.. especially at the critical times, when they're sick or become very worried over a family member.. I found that they will really appreciate if the doctor can spend some time explaining a procedure or updating their progress.. of course there are time constraint and sometimes I wasn't able to entertain each and every patient or family members.. it is always a two way understanding between a doctor and a patient.. A doctor have to understand the needs of the patient & the patient have to understand the work & time constraint of a doctor.. there were times that I made family members waited for nearly an hour but in the end,when I apologised they would respond positively,because they knew that I was busy and that they were taking some of my time for other patient as well.. It makes a lot of different if both parties have a good understanding, considerations & most importantly manners.. of course that is just my opinion..

That was not the first time I was greeted by a patient or a family member of the patient.. it is a nice feeling when somebody comes to you out of the blue and thank you for saving his/her life.. or to thank you for looking after them.. of course, we are human.. we tried our best and only God have the power to heal.. I thank Allah for letting me touch the lives of people through my job.. sometimes we may forget, and it is great to be reminded from time to time..

***

I cooked asam pedas ikan and stir fry mixed vegetables for dinner yesterday.. I also made apam balik afterwards.. it wasn't the nicest apam balik but at least it did taste like apam balik;) hehe.. My dear hubby is oncall today.. wonder what I should cook for him.. need to lift up his mood as he is going to miss the football match tonight:)..siannn abang.. ;)

No comments: