Monday, August 25, 2008

Bye-Bye Beijing & Welcome Study Leave

Bye-Bye Beijing, Hello London
It is somewhat almost a sad picture to see the end of this years Olympics.. I'm not 100% sure why.. Could it be because of the 08/08/08 at 08:08pm launch made me wonder that it would be another miracle before we could see another set-up like this? Or could it be because that I was so impressed by the opening ceremony that I don't feel that London 2012 would not be able to rise to the occasion and expectations? I really don't know..

Beijing National Stadium
(also known as 'The Bird's Nest')











Malaysia possibly hit an all-time low with only a silver medal.. Lee Chong Wei made us proud with his contribution in badminton.. He lost to Lin Dan, the current world numero uno.. Chong Wei is currently number 2.. Playing against the top seed, in the big fella's home soil - TOUGH! Fair play to Chong Wei.. To one extend, yes, we did manage a medal.. But my foremost disappointment was by the number of athletes that was sent.. I'm sorry, I don't have the exact number, but I'm pretty sure it was small.. By the official Beijing 2008 website, we sent only in badminton and sailing.. We used to send a good squad worthy of medals in gymnastics - where have they gone? Are we no longer worthy of even Olympics participation? As I said, it was not the number of medals we won (or did not win) but the size of contingent we were sending was the biggest disappointment..

National Aquatic Centre, Beijing
(also known as 'The Water Cube')

World records being broken was almost an absolute expectation.. Michael Phelps (USA) won 8 gold medals in the pool.. He reached his target well.. Yes, he won 6 golds and 2 bronzes in Athens 2004, which was where the 8 came from.. Word of mouth, he was tested for drugs more than any other athlete in Beijing - including blood tests! I hope that was just words.. And there was Usain Bolt, who broke the 100m record and won 3 golds in the track.. Yes, he took the spotlight in the Bird's Nest Stadium.. But I still have my mind on the disaster by the Americans - Tyson Gaye failed to qualify for the 100m finals, the double 4x100m relay baton mess-up by both the men and women.. Yes, I can go on and on about all the memories of ups and downs in this Olympics, but here was just a few to mention..

The world will be looking forward to London 2012 for the next village for the Olympics athletes.. I have my doubts about how will London step up to the standard that Beijing offered - especially in the opening ceremony.. But I still feel they are able to do it.. You're right, it's not just about the opening ceremony or the high-end venues.. It is about the organisations, the preparations, the hospitality, the coverage and the games and athletes.. And all in all, I welcome London 2012 for the next Olympics and I have high hopes and expectations that they can further raise the bar for this prestigious event.. And I hope Malaysia will do a lot better next time.. AND, God willing, insya-Allah, I'd like to go and watch some games in London then..


Study Leave for MRCP Part 1
*Sigh* This week is my study leave week before my exams nest week - September 02, and YES, my studies have been turtle-slow! Despite being that slow, see what I'm doing? BLOGGING! Am I bold or what? Some said to me to take this first sitting as a 'trial' as many would not pass in the first attempt anyway.. However, I appreciate and I am taking Along's (my previous registrar) advice on board big time - Do your best in this one like I won't take it again! Makes perfect sense.. Why should I rip myself off the ever-deteriorating cash and take this exam for granted.. I will do my best..

Isn't this interesting? I have so much to say about the Olympics and almost zero on my exams! I spoke to Gurmit (my classmate in medical school) yesterday, and she sounded stressed.. I think this is her second attempt.. So I was assured that there will be some familiar faces in the exam hall next week..

Well, I really need to pen-off now.. Lots of studying to do still, and I'm using this whole week to soak my brain with information of which most probably 85% it will not use at all in my career.. Hopefully this week will be good..

See ya later, aligators!

No comments: