Sunday, August 24, 2008

News of the News : A Wii, Rejuvenated XBox, Second-Hand iPhone..

Salam,

Gosh.. Another long spell of silence.. Interestingly, even Ina didn't post anything between my zipped lips..

Yes, many have happened between the last post and today.. Maybe it'll be nice to share a few for this post..

My Mii and Wii
A Mii is a mini-you of the Wii gaming community.. You can specifically create the character and use it to play the games in the Wii.. Indeed, the Wii generates the according size for your Mii based on your BMI - see your Mii plump to a pumpkin size if your BMI passes the 'overweight' line.. Of course, the Wii is a new member of this home.. After quite heavy consideration, we decided and agreed that we would buy the Wii.. We did get the Wii Fit as well - for home exercise..

I do believe that many of you are familiar of the Wii.. It is at present the only motion-sensor equipped gaming device in the world (that I know of, anyway).. What it means is that instead of controlling your game with a game-pad controller for movement, you simply move your controller and your movement is detected and translated as movement in your game.. Excellent! That means, you WILL sweat even playing the simplest game like the Wii Sport Tennis.. Home exercise - DOUBLE EXCELLENT!

At the moment, we don't have that many games for our Wii.. We only have the Wii Sport (that came with the console) and the Wii Fit.. Maybe later in the year we would purchase a few more games.. We'll see.. As for me, I'm aiming to lose some weight with the Wii Fit - by going to the gym and merely inputting the time I spend in the gym into my Wii Fit Activity Log.. Ina seems to be doing less at the moment - of course, her aim was to maintain the same weight after a 2-week course..

Rejuvenated XBox 360
Many were unaware that my Xbox had been off-line for quite some time.. However, I managed to get it repaired for FREE! Interestingly, because the problem was possibly with the console hard drive/main system, and it was still under the 3-year warranty, I could get it repaired for free or (if not repairable) replaced with a brand-new one!

So, I did send it to Germany for repairs.. Two weeks later, I received an email telling me my XBox was on it's way home.. Boy, am I relieved!

Now, my XBox is sitting happily beside his baby brother Wii! I have no new games for my XBox either, as I am studying (or trying to) for the coming MRCP exam.. So, I suppose I have to leave it be for the moment - I'll manage with the old games, anyway.. Maybe, just maybe, I'll persuade Ina to let me buy a few more second-hand games after my exams.. Hehe..

Second-Hand iPhone
I have always envied the people with iPhones.. And always wanted to have one.. Unfortunately for me, iPhones in Ireland are exclusively for O2 customers only - and even on that, only with bill pay.. It costs about 400 euros for the gadget and another 40 euros monthly for the bill pay (excluding the calls you make, the texts you send).. Now, I think that's a rip off! Even more unfortunate, this O2-iPhone business deal will go on until 2010!

Jodie (my registrar) has one and finds them very handy and nice.. Of course, that only heightened my wish to have one! And my wish came true.. Jennnifer (my medical secretary) had bought one iPhone after being persuaded by her friend.. But, only after two days, she found it 'not to her liking' and was looking to get rid of it.. She offered my a good price - 180 euros! She bought that for 200 euros.. Of course it was locked, but of course I know a few 'dodgy' places that may unlock this for me.. So I bought it off Jennifer..

I had to go down to Dublin and spend 60 euros to unlock this iPhone, after almost 10 attempts to unlock it myself with a downloaded software ended in vain.. But I think 60 euros was worth it.. Now I can use it with my Meteor simcard and even surf the web at home with it! It's more like a PDA-phone - in fact, I think it is! And I'm glad I have one!

Gadgets, Gadgets and More Gadgets!
I know Ina is looking for a PDA so I'll let her buy one.. Badly enough, I am not up-to-date with the latest news on PDAs, so I'll have to refrain from saying too much.. I have talked to several up-to-date people, but they all seem to volunteer and suggest the most up-to-date PDA, which would actually mean either not yet available in Ireland or they would be exquisitely expensive!

Hmm, I am wondering if Ina would mind if I suggest for us to get a Nintendo DS Lite (for Brain Training)? I won't push my luck for now - we just got a Wii..
Certainly, I am keeping that in mind..


No comments: