Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Exhausted..

Salam..

As you may have noticed, no entry was done yesterday.. The matter of the fact was, both of us were on-call last night..

Geri Bad Night

In all honesty, the medics were not that bad.. We took in in total about 17 patients.. Of course, not that it mattered much to me as all those patients I admitted either go to Dr O'Hare or to their previous physicians as per hospital protocol.. As for me, my patient list is indeed independent of the oncall intake.. Nevertheless, the Renal team did get an admission directly transferred from Nenagh General Hospital.. It was a real renal issue.. A man with urea of 60 (normal range between 4-7) and creatinine of 1100 (normal range between 50-90)!

I managed to squeeze about 30mins going through briefly the man's history as I knew I would be asked by my consultant first thing the next morning.. So I did what I thought he would have wanted, and alhamdulillah he agreed to my provisional plan last night.. I did get a few "good" remarks today..

Last night's call was not particularly bad as there were three of us for the medical side with one up to 10pm.. But, unfortunately for Ina, she was the only one for the geriatric oncall and she had admitted 5 herself by the time the medics reached seven between the three of us! And worse, her patients were what we doctors call 'sickies', meaning very unwell complicated management issue patients.. Alhamdulillah, the registrar last night was nice, as I know she is.. She helped a lot too..

I got to bed around 12.30am and Ina only got to bed at 2am.. But she was not called down again afterwards, whereas I was called down to admit another girl who had three seizure episodes in the last 6 hours.. And I managed to escape another admission for a DVT too..

All in all, the call was not that bad..

Long Day, Long Clinic

I realised that Monday and Tuesday would not be the best days for me to be oncall.. The reason, if I was oncall on Monday, I will be looking at a very tiring Tuesday given the mega clinic on Tuesday and I would be post-call.. It would also be bad on Tuesday because I would not be able to do my oncall shift, which starts at 5pm, until later around 7.30 or 8pm given the clinic on Tuesday.. I'm sure the other colleagues oncall would not be particularly happy..

Anyway, it is not like I will always be oncall on a Tuesday or Monday..

The wards today was not that bad too.. I managed to get the jobs done before going to clinic at 2pm.. The only one left to do was taking a blood sample from a patient in the wards which I quickly did before returning home..

The clinic was as usual as before, MASSIVE! We had altogether about 60+ patients who came.. Of course I took the new ones which made me spent more time with them taking the full history and performing a full examination.. We finished the clinic at about 8pm! I did not stay one second longer and as soon as it was over, I was out the door! I had to hold off doing my dictations as I did not have a dictaphone and Aftab has not given me his as yet..

At this stage, I knew the ward workload will be a bit heavier in the next 2-3 days.. We admitted one from the clinic today and potentially another two coming in electively tomorrow for renal biopsy.. Those two need to be prepped before 8am Thursday!

I better get some rest.. I am exhausted and my body feels unclean.. I will take a shower before going to bed, hoping that I would get a better sleep then..

Salam..

No comments: