Friday, January 9, 2009

Stirred And Drained..

Salam..

It seems that every day I log in to this blog, you would read another sigh of my hectic day job.. Am I complaining? Not at all.. But given the workload and the one-man-down team, you should not be surprised why I am sighing at the end of my day.. Every drop of sweat means that it will all be worth it in the end..

Today started just like any other day - facing a tough day with one man down in the team.. I started off in the ICU with the reg and we were joined by the consultant after seeing two patients there.. He was not due to do a ward round, not until the afternoon, but he usually does come in and see the 'sickies'.. After that, we went quickly to the post-biopsy man and I managed to discharge him home straight afterwards..

Then it was just me and the registrar (who was supposed to be in the Dialysis Unit the whole time, but cross-covering) seeing all the other inpatients and sorting them out.. Alhamdulillah, it went okay, but his pager never stopped screaming from the Dialysis Unit.. I was sent to see some of them in Dialysis instead.. Obviously, I had not a single clue what I was doing there!

No Lunch, No Break

The day went very quickly yet very busy.. I only managed to have a short break for Jumaat prayers.. Nothing in between and I didn't get anything to eat.. I realised I had no lunch over the last two days except when I 'escaped' from the ward duties grab a quick bite.. Man, this job is busy!

On Fridays, we are due to finish at 4pm.. Unfortunately, I was still called to Dialysis at 5pm with loads more job to do in the wards after the 3-o'clock ward round kick-off.. I finished 90% of my job at 7.30pm and headed home.. Poor Ina was waiting since probably 5pm for me to finish and she was starving! The reason it was only 90% settled was because I failed to cannulate a man even after four attempts.. It was weird since I got a nice big one just four days ago at my first needle! So I had to heavy-heartedly leave the job to the medical interns on-call.. As a favour, I helped one of them to plant a Mantoux test on a man in another ward..

Myself and Ina stopped by at the Crescent and grab a quick bite at Subways.. She is fond of sandwiches at the moment, not much for rice.. But it is good since her nausea has much settled.. She does seem a little bit more energetic and her appetite has even picked up a small bit.. That is a load of my head!

Geris On-Call

Again, at the time of this installment, Ina has already fast asleep.. I don't blame her - she is working tomorrow.. The Geriatric team will be on-call for the weekend.. Catherine was surprised when we were still in hospital at 7.30pm.. She is on-call tonight, but after this weekend, she is off to the rehab job.. It will be quieter for her.. As for Ina, she will be on-call for the 24-hour period and coming home on Sunday.. Then she will be on-call again on Monday.. I will be on-call Monday too.. (I just realised that!)

Geris on-call by the lovely ladies!

For this weekend, there are few things needing sorting out..
  • I need to clean the house again.. It's a mess!
  • I need to see if I can pick up Ina's parcel tomorrow..
  • I need to check again about the TV stand..
  • I need to hit the gym!
Well, that was all I could list down at the moment.. Maybe a few more will crop up before the weekend ends.. Next week, maybe we will visit Cork for some light air.. Limerick has just turned stale the last two weeks, since both our weekends are rotten with on-calls!

Salam..

No comments: